Print & Pattern Design for Licensing
This course is a step-by-step guide to creating a beautiful and saleable collection for your art licensing portfolio with examples, insider info and a ton of resources to help you along the way.
I’ve been designing patterns and illustrations professionally for 15 years, but when I decided to dive into the world of art licensing in 2013, I had a large portfolio of artwork that I didn’t really own. My ‘licensing portfolio’ was just about non-existent. Since then I’ve been very hard at work, and now have a robust portfolio of over 65 design collections. I know from personal experience that it can be overwhelming to decide what to focus on when producing artwork for product, and to help with that process, I created this course.
We’re going to start with some basic information about art licensing before going step-by-step into how to research and conceive of a strong collection idea and then bring it to life. Throughout the process, I’ll share all the tricks and resources I’ve used in order to jump start my licensing career.
- Assess the current state of your portfolio for licensing potential
- Examine top licensing themes and trends, with a number of sources to research subjects further
- Leverage market trends to spark your creativity
- Use end product goals to inform your collection format and your sketching process
- Pick a dynamic color palette with use of class resources and ideas
- Conceive of and execute a strong, well balanced art licensing collection
- Get over creative stumbling blocks by using detailed questionnaires to assess your own work
- Show off your new work with a clear sales sheet and product mock-ups
- Confidently plan your next steps for repeated design success
This course is suitable for artists and designers of all levels interested in building their portfolio for art licensing. Basic artistic skill and a rudimentary knowledge of pattern and illustration will help you make quick progress and is recommended. Start with a sketchbook and design motivation and you’ll be a successful student.
|Welcome and Introduction||2:26|
|Designing for Licensing||16:21|
|Themes, Trends & Research||17:44|
|Potential End Products||9:18|
|References and Formats||13:20|
|Main Prints, Coordinates, and Extras||6:50|
|Creating, Sizing, and Notes||10:02|
|Assessing Your Collection||17:56|
|Pulling it All Together||13:07|
|Building Your Portfolio and Submission Thoughts||8:15|